Donegal Airport has been voted in second place in a list of the airports with the most scenic landings in the whole world, according to the 2017 edition of the annual scenic airports poll by PrivateFly, a global booking service for private jet charter and private aircraft hire.
Thousands of travellers around the globe, including a panel of expert judges from across the travel industry, voted in this year’s poll, with Donegal Airport placing second on a list of over 120 airports to receive a mention.
The only airport more scenic than Donegal? The glamorously titled Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport on the Dutch Caribbean island of Saba.
Commenting the scenery that makes landing in Donegal Airport such a memorable experience, expert judge Adam Twidell said:
“I have landed at Donegal many times and the rugged coastline of Ireland’s North West coast is even more awe-inspiring from the air, with the backdrop of Mount Errigal adding to the timeless appeal.”
Hard to argue with that.
Top 10 most scenic airport approaches in the world
- Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport, Saba
- Donegal Airport, Ireland
- Nice Côte d’Azur Airport, France
- Gibraltar Airport, Gibraltar
- Queenstown Airport, New Zealand
- London City Airport, United Kingdom
- Maarten Airport, Caribbean
- Orlando Melbourne Airport, USA
- Barra Airport, United Kingdom
- Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport, Canada